02B42: The Window Incident

Thursday Fractured Window

Metro Manila Community Quarantine - Day 810

I woke a lot earlier than hoped planned this morning. Like sometime around 6am even though we had gone to bed at around 2am. I knew it was too early and I wanted to back to sleep, but I also recognized that what had woken me up was a need to go to the bathroom.

So there I am, barely able to keep my eyes open while doing my business when I hear something that sounded like a muted thud followed by the sound of water trickling down. I didn't have my glasses on so looking out didn't really do anything for me. But it did look like that maybe someone had splashed water on our bedroom window or something. My brain couldn't process it because I knew there was no scheduled window cleaning this month, but okay whatever.

When I finally got up to get a better look at what appeared to be a very wet pane of glass turned out to be a completely fractured bedroom window. It was broken but at least it didn't break all the way through. There were a few slivers of glass on the window sill but not much else. And what sounded like trickling water was actually the window continuing to fracture or maybe the fractured pieces settling in their new post-fracture position.

Tobie was still very much asleep and I didn't want to wake him up this early with such weird news. So I actually went back to bed in the hopes of getting another hour or so of sleep and then we'd deal with this situation together. And as I lay back down, I could still the occasional "water" sound as the window continued to do whatever it was doing.

Kinda crazy, I know.

I woke up again past 8am and waited for Tobie to wake up. Once he was conscious, I still ended up shocking him with the news of the window and that really woke him up. We called for maintenance folks to take a look at it and the shatter pattern doesn't even seem to indicate a direct impact with an object, so I guess it just decided to break. The maintenance folks mentioned that it isn't the first time it had happened and it might take 3-5 months before a replacement window pane could be acquired. After taking their measurements, they proceeded to tape up our spider glass window and left things at that.

So now we have a taped-up broken window and we'll have to live with it for a few months. At least it didn't break all the way through - then our bedroom would be totally exposed to the elements. As it stands, the upcoming rainy season probably won't be fun as I doubt the window is very waterproof, but we'll see how things go. 

What an adventure to start the day.